If you need to replace missing teeth, you probably already know about dental bridges and dentures. But today, you have another choice for tooth replacement: dental implants. Because dental implants are integrated into the jawbone, they offer more stability than traditional bridgework.
Dental Implants Provide a Solution for Missing Teeth
Losing a tooth can have a devastating impact on a person. Most of us hope our teeth will last us a lifetime, and when they don’t, it could take a toll on your self-confidence. Replacing teeth with dental implants at our Ramsgate Beach, NSW dental clinic can restore your smile along with dental function.
Dr Robert Ayar recommends dental implants for patients with tooth loss because they closely mimic the form and function of the natural tooth. Unlike with a dental bridge, this stand-alone tooth replacement doesn’t require any modification to the adjacent teeth to keep it in place.
How Dental Implants Work
Dental implants are made of biocompatible titanium, a metal that is well accepted by the body. The dental implant takes the place of the missing tooth root and is surgically placed into the jawbone. The procedure is quick—usually about an hour—but you’ll need patience for the healing process. It will take several months for the dental implant to permanently integrate with your jawbone.
Once it heals, it becomes part of your dental anatomy, acting as a new root system. It keeps the jawbone strong and supports a dental crown prosthetic that is your replacement tooth. If you have multiple missing teeth, we can also attach a denture or partial denture to the dental implant.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Patients of our Ramsgate Beach, NSW dental surgery appreciate the numerous benefits of dental implants:
- Because dental implants are permanently integrated into the jawbone, they will not move—so there are no food restrictions with dental implants.
- Caring for dental implants is no different than caring for your natural teeth: brush and floss regularly and visit your dentist as recommended for check-ups and cleans.
- You may have noticed that long-time denture-wearers have developed a sunken-in look that has changed their entire facial structure. When teeth are missing, the jawbone will shrink over time. Dental implants prevent that from happening.
Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
There is a lot to consider when deciding on the best tooth-replacement option. Dr Ayar will explain all of your choices and go over the pros and cons of each. He will answer all of your questions so you can feel confident in making the best decision for you.
Candidates for dental implants should have these characteristics:
- Overall good health without serious medical conditions
- Gums free of infection
- Enough bone left to support the dental implants
Would you like to learn more about dental implants? We welcome your call to book an appointment to talk to Dr Ayar at our Ramsgate Beach, NSW dental clinic.