Natural Dental Fillings in Ramsgate Beach NSW
If you are like most people, you’ll have to get at least one dental filling in your lifetime. Dental fillings at our Ramsgate Beach, NSW dental clinic are one of the most common procedures we perform. This important dental procedure restores a decayed tooth, helping you to avoid needing more extensive work later on.
We prioritise your oral health—and we also want your smile to be lovely, so we are pleased to offer natural-looking, tooth-coloured dental fillings at Ayar Dental. These white, composite fillings protect your oral health without compromising the look of your smile.
Tooth-Coloured Fillings vs Metal Amalgam Fillings
White fillings are also known as composite fillings. We make them to match the colour of the tooth they are filling, and they will also blend in with the surrounding teeth. Tooth-coloured fillings are placed on the tooth in layers, with each one hardened with a special blue light, before we place the next layer. They are barely visible to the naked eye, so most people will be unaware you have a filling.
Even if you have a filling toward the front of your mouth, no one will be able to see it. This makes composite fillings suitable for repairing both front and back teeth.
Advantages of White Fillings
Tooth-coloured fillings are indeed more aesthetically pleasing than grey-coloured amalgam fillings, but they provide patients with other advantages:
- Teeth filled with composite material tend to be stronger as it bonds to the surrounding tooth.
- Less drilling is needed for composite fillings, which means more of the tooth structure remains intact.
- Although amalgam fillings have been reported as safe, many patients feel better about avoiding the mercury that is present in these metal restorations.
Disadvantages of White Fillings
Despite their benefits, there are a few disadvantages of tooth-coloured fillings:
- The white composite material is susceptible to stains from food and beverages.
- There is often sensitivity with tooth-coloured fillings right after the procedure. This usually goes away on its own after a few weeks.
- Composite fillings may cost more than amalgam fillings.
- Placing white fillings might mean a bit more time in the dentist chair because the technique for placing tooth-coloured fillings is more complex than placing amalgam fillings.
Cosmetic Dental Bonding
The same material we use for tooth-coloured fillings is ideal for cosmetic use to fix minor flaws with your smile. This process is called cosmetic dental bonding, and with it, we can make the following repairs:
- Small chips or cracks on the teeth
- Gaps or uneven spacing between the teeth
- Irregularly shaped teeth
This conservative, affordable cosmetic treatment can usually occur during one dental appointment.
Book an Appointment at Our Ramsgate Dentist Office
If you think you might have a cavity or if you’d like to learn more about fixing minor flaws in your smile, we welcome your contact Ayar Dental to learn more about tooth-coloured fillings and dental bonding at our Ramsgate Beach, NSW dental clinic.